Re: WOWG: IMPORTANT - name issue

From: Nick Gibbins <nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:35:38 +0000
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu> writes:

> We have been informed of a possible trademark issue with the name
> OWL.  The W3C received email form a company called ontology works
> that:

>>> I would like to formally notify you, the W3C organization, and the
>>> appropriate responsible person(s) at W3C (including Tim
>>> Berners-Lee) that my company, Ontology Works, Inc., has filed
>>> trade marks on the acronym OWL which stands for Ontology Work
>>> Language.  The interested parties can visit our web site
>>> (www.ontologyworks.com) to see what we are involved in with regard
>>> to ontology.

> we have not yet discussed this among the chairs or the W3C
> Semantic-web coordination group, but I wanted to point it out to the
> group.  The message from Ontology works and TimBL's reply are at:

>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/patent-issues/2002JanMar/0169.html

Also of interest may be the following:

Whitepaper which mentions OWL (and makes a trademark claim)

I've checked again the USPTO's trademark search engine (TESS), which
contains both registered and pending (ie. filed) trademarks, but find
no mention of OWL in an ontology context.

Nick Gibbins                                            nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk
IAM (Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia)             tel: +44 (0) 23 80592831
Electronics and Computer Science                   fax: +44 (0) 23 80592865
University of Southampton