WOWG: IMPORTANT - name issue

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:50:15 -0500
To: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
We have been informed of a possible trademark issue with the name OWL.

The W3C received email form a company called ontology works that:

>  > I would like to formally notify you, the W3C organization, and the
>>  appropriate responsible person(s) at W3C (including Tim Berners-Lee) that
>my
>>  company, Ontology Works, Inc., has filed trade marks on the acronym OWL
>>  which stands for Ontology Work Language.  The interested parties can visit
>>  our web site (www.ontologyworks.com) to see what we are involved in with
>>  regard to ontology.

we have not yet discussed this among the chairs or the W3C
Semantic-web coordination group, but I wanted to point it out to the
group.  The message from Ontology works and TimBL's reply are at:

>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/patent-issues/2002JanMar/0169.html

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler