Collection properties, was Re: SEM DESIDERATA: my initial desiderata list

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:20:31 -0500
To: <las@olin.edu>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: "WebOnt WG" <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
Lynn Andrea Stein wrote:

> > 1/ Syntax is (equivalent to) n-triples (i.e., RDF syntax).
> >    All syntax (except, maybe, datatypes) is carried in triples.
> Pretty clearly we will need *some* sort of (unordered) listing/grouping
> construct that is bounded, i.e., defines a list/group containing *exactly*
> listed/grouped elements.  daml:collection was one attempt to provide such
> thing.  I don't believe we can avoid having such a thing.

I agree that this is essential. To summarize.

1) daml:List is a reasonable construct for an (ordered, bounded) list.
2) numerous DAML language elements operate as if the list is _unordered_. In
which case when the daml:List construct is interpreted as a daml:Set, it's
semantics are unordered and with no repeats (I don't see a great need for an
_unordered_ Bag but don't oppose this if there is in fact a use case).

Properties such as:

<daml:oneOf> <daml:intersectionOf> <daml:union> etc etc. operate _as if_ the