WOWG: TEST: 2nd draft message

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:53:26 +0100
To: jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: "<www-webont-wg" <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

We propose that the test focus area should produce as their first
deliverable to the working group a document that describes one or more test
formats that will be useful for:
- dicussing the properties of OWL
- helping specify the properties of OWL
- testing implementations of OWL

The RDF Core WG has been using test cases for most of its existence.

The standard RDF test is to assert that a particular RDF/XML file
the same graph as an n-triple file.
Typically both files are small.

corresponds to

Such simple examples have great merit of:
- being clear
- being binary (yes or no)

Thus they are useful for clarifying e-mail discussion.
An example, more or less at random, see Option 2 in this e-mail:

  <foo:bar xml:lang="en">foobar</foo:bar>

becomes (please forgive the shorthand):

  _:a <foo:bar>    _:b .
  _:b <xml:lang>   "en" .
  _:b <rdf:value> "foobar" .

A shorthand syntax is used, we can either agree or disagree with this.
(This example is not endorsed by the RDF Core WG).

This year, a new test format has been being used. This is an entailment

The test consists of a set of files that are the antecedents of an
entailments, and one file that is the consequence.

The test is again binary: does the entailment hold or not.

An example is

( <http://www.agfa.com/w3c/rdf/rdfs-transitive-subSubProperty/test003.nt>
  <http://www.w3.org/2001/10/daml+oil#> )
  <http://www.agfa.com/w3c/rdf/rdfs-transitive-subSubProperty/test001.nt> .

The .nt URI's are pointing to NTriple resources which
could/should be "everywhere" on the web (just click
on them to see what they describe).

If we want to have RDFS-entailment, we include
<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> which is a
means to refer to the Model Theory RDFS-entailment rules
and similarly for OWL-entailment we include

So the log:entails has builtin the appropriate collecting
and dereferencing of uris-to-set-of-ntriples.

The RHS of log:entails is a single uri pointing to a set-of-ntriples
(the ones that should be entailed).

Another example of how such a test is useful in WG discussion is from the
heated datatyping discussion. The chair summarized many strongly felt
as simple entailments. This reduced the emotional heat.

For example, in a summary message:

of the nine or ten disputed issues three are expressed as entailments:
Issue B4, Issue B9 and Issue B10.

So, test cases are not a panacea (six or seven of those issues were not
expressed as test cases), but they are helpful.

Another part of RDF Core's (ongoing) work is the specification of a
file, that lists all the tests, their type and their status.

At this moment such a manifest file is nothing but "test statements"
(which should be true) as explained in message: