Re: comments on 18 July 2002 version of reference document

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:08:48 -0400
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, www-webont-wg@w3.org

<chair-neutrality-off>

At 2:40 PM -0400 7/18/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

>PROPOSAL:  Remove all the rdf and rdfs sameXxxAs stuff.  The wrong decision
>	was made in DAML+OIL on this.
>
>	Should this proposal be an ISSUE?  I guess so, and will raise the
>	issue.  It would be great if this issue could be resolved by next
>	week, but I don't expect that to happen.

huh?  I find these incredibly useful and among the most important to
me in some of my research use cases which focus on finding mapping
between terms in different ontologies -- we use
  foo:XXX daml:sameClassAs bar:YYY
all the time, and cannot live without it.  I like the "equivalentTo"
idiom as well, but probably could live without it as long as I have
  sameXXXas
and
  differentIndividualThan
(or whatever we ended up calling it)

I need these at the class, property, and instance level.

So Peter, feel free to raise the issue, but I suspect you'll find we
need some discussion.
  -JH

</chair-neutrality-off>

(All forgive me if I seem a bit crotchety today - it's a Jewish fast
day and I haven't eaten or drunk for a lot of hours-- making me a bit
irascible...)

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler