Re: comments on 18 July 2002 version of reference document

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: comments on 18 July 2002 version of reference document
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:08:48 -0400

> <chair-neutrality-off>
>
> At 2:40 PM -0400 7/18/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> >
> >PROPOSAL:  Remove all the rdf and rdfs sameXxxAs stuff.  The wrong decision
> >	was made in DAML+OIL on this.
> >
> >	Should this proposal be an ISSUE?  I guess so, and will raise the
> >	issue.  It would be great if this issue could be resolved by next
> >	week, but I don't expect that to happen.
>
> huh?  I find these incredibly useful and among the most important to
> me in some of my research use cases which focus on finding mapping
> between terms in different ontologies -- we use
>   foo:XXX daml:sameClassAs bar:YYY
> all the time, and cannot live without it.  I like the "equivalentTo"
> idiom as well, but probably could live without it as long as I have
>   sameXXXas
> and
>   differentIndividualThan
> (or whatever we ended up calling it)
>
> I need these at the class, property, and instance level.
>
> So Peter, feel free to raise the issue, but I suspect you'll find we
> need some discussion.
>   -JH
>
> </chair-neutrality-off>
>

> (All forgive me if I seem a bit crotchety today - it's a Jewish fast
> day and I haven't eaten or drunk for a lot of hours-- making me a bit
> irascible...)

Actually this is my fault for not being specific.  I'm not provposing
removing owl:sameClassAs from OWL.  I'm proposing removing
owl:subClassOf owl:samePropertyOf rdfs:subClassOf .
and 11 other, similar triples from OWL.  These triples all come from the
last section of daml+oil.daml (or whatever it was called).

I'll resubmit the ISSUE.