Re: semantics: layering...? [was: Next steps (Action: all)]

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:02:05 -0600
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
>On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 12:41, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>  >   3. Semantics: As evidenced by the layering discussion, developing
>>  > the semantic model for the language (mandated by our charter) is not
>>  > easy, but needs to be done.  We expect to produce both a model theory
>>  > and an axiomization similar to the ones prepared for DAML+OIL.
>>
>>  Well there has been work done on the layering issues, but it seems to have
>>  been put off and put off again from the agenda.  Therefore, I would like to
>>  have an agenda item for next week on the layering issue.
>

>I've been studying the layering stuff, but I'm not sure
>how to prepare for a telcon discussion of layering.
>
>If you have anything in particular in mind, please let me/us know.
>
>It takes me a while to get the relevant stuff swapped in
>my brain to discuss that layering stuff. Also, I have an internal
>telcon on Tuesdays, and if you can get me something before
>then, I can discuss it with some other folks in
>preparation for a telcon.
>
>Oh... one thing that would help me is if you and PatH
>could summarize the thread you guys had.
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Feb/0134.html
>
>I didn't follow all of it. Was there any particular result
>of the discussion?

No actual result yet, other than possibly a better (though not
perfect) mutual understanding of the positions.

I would like Peter to either agree that purely as a technical matter,
there is in fact no formal paradox in the layering; or else to
provide a *formal* analysis of how the claimed paradox arises, using
a mathematical statement of all the relevant assumptions about the
domains. I do not think that this can be done if the actual model
theory for RDF is used (rather than some other semantics that Peter
thinks would be better.)

I am overdue to write up my position in a coherent way, which I will
try to do before next week, but it will be brief, I'm afraid, as my
next 2 weeks will be spent mostly in travelling and meetings.

Also I will not be able to make next week's telecon (I hope I
remembered to send regrets for today: if I didn't, please accept them
belatedly.) Hopefully things should improve after then.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes