Re: semantics: layering...? [was: Next steps (Action: all)]

At 5:00 PM -0500 2/28/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
>Subject: semantics: layering...? [was: Next steps (Action: all)]
>Date: 28 Feb 2002 13:42:38 -0600
>
>[...]
>
>>  I've been studying the layering stuff, but I'm not sure
>>  how to prepare for a telcon discussion of layering.
>
>>  If you have anything in particular in mind, please let me/us know.
>
>I'm working on a message about this (and other things).  Expect something
>tomorrow.

good.

>[...]
>
>>  Oh... one thing that would help me is if you and PatH
>>  could summarize the thread you guys had.
>>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Feb/0134.html
>>
>>  I didn't follow all of it. Was there any particular result
>>  of the discussion?
>
>We are still disagreeing.  I *think* that we have differing intuitions as
>to how OWL is supposed to work, which is causing some fundamental
>disagreements as to how the semantics will work.  This is one reason that I
>would like to discuss layering at a telecon.
>
>>  --
>  > Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

Peter - don't want to pick on you, more generally using this as an
example - we (the chairs) have come to realize that telecons are
probably not the best place to have long discussions of fundamental
disagreements - better to use the telecon to discuss how to make
traction on the issue and then to identify a smaller group to be
develop some sort of strawman proposal for the whole group to react
to (but with that group's  discussion happening on the mailing list
so those who need to track it can see what is going on).  When that
set of folks comes to consensus on a proposal, or at least writes up
the issue specifically enough for the rest of the group to understand
why consensus is elusive,  then it is sent to the WG and discussed on
a telecon.
  btw, one thing I learned recently is that we can schedule other
telecons, within WOWG or even with non-WOWG folks - so, for example,
if it was felt that a discussion of layering and related issues
needed some time at higher bandwidth than email, a special telecon
could be arranged either for WOWG folks or for some kind of WOWG plus
others.  Same can be done by chat where that is a better solution
(i.e. the #webont chat is available 24/7 and any group of folks with
irc can arrange to meet each other their)
  We do ask that such telecons/chats be logged and sent to the group as a whole
  Anyone wanting to arrange such a thing, let me, Guus and Dan know,
and we can help work it out.
  -Jim H.

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742