Re: APOLOGY to WOWG

All,

I sympathize with the chairs and the editors -- they particularly are
under tremendous pressure. However,

Jim Hendler wrote:
>Our WG deadlines are
>not very negotiable, but our "staffing", with 50 WG members, can be.

Why cannot we negotiate deadlines?

We are engaged in fundamentally important work: we are trying to
produce the *best* possible specification, and if we need to take
some extra time I feel we should be allowed to do it. Largely
artificial deadlines should not be the biggest pressure when "design
by committee" is our greatest enemy.

Too often -- in the context of some W3C working group -- I have heard
the comment "we do not have time for this" when someone has suggested
some improvement.

Food for thought.

	- Ora

--