Issue: Are structure queries needed?

From: Saveen Reddy (Exchange) <saveenr@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:30:37 -0700
To: "'www-webdav-dasl@w3.org'" <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>

We have previously described that DASL cannot deal with XML structures
easily. For example, this problem arises with the lockdiscovery property.
This problem prevents us from solving a simple scenario: list all the
resources that are not collections. We then proposed several solutions for
this.

I would like to revisit the one I feel: (1) solves this scenario, (2) does
not raise the bar for server implementations, (3) does not attempt
standardize non-existent practice, and (4) is extremely localized (has no
impact to other properties).

I propose a property that simply evaluates to TRUE or FALSE depending on the
type of resource.

Somewhat more formally ....

The "DAV:iscollection" property evaluates to TRUE if the DAV:resourcetype
property contains the element "DAV:collection", and FALSE otherwise.

Thus, I propose we punt for the time being any more complicated operators.
Scenarios we have identified that tunnel into XML are, IMO, not as
funadmental as this one.

Comments?

-Saveen