RE: strike the DASL language tag

At 11:48 AM 6/28/98 PDT, Saveen Reddy (Exchange) wrote:
>However, I sense that requiring servers to pay attention to the xml:lang tag
>is not worth the effort (small rathole). IMO, it's enough to say that
>language specific comparisons use the language specified in the
>"Content-Language" header and providing for finer granularity by examining
>"xml:lang" should be left as an implementation issue.

I don't think this is right.  Consider a server in Switzerland, with four
official languages (plus English).  Suppose one wants to store (with
PROPFIND) the title of a book in each of the four official languages.  No
single language can appear in the Content-Language header, so one must use
the xml:lang attribute in the properties to indicate the language.

Please explain this rathole.  Do you think the xml:lang attribute was
wrongly defined?

Note also that I do not advocate use of Content-Language in the SEARCH
request because I don't think clients should be allowed to request a
(language-dependent) sorting order other than the one in the underlying
data.  If the property values are stored in Danish, you get the Danish
sort, no matter what the Content-Language is.

Finally, we should distinguish between the language of the Content and the
language of the properties.  I can store a Klingon document on my server
with English-language property values.