[pls] Re: Scalable Language API documentation (R106-4)

Dear Kurt,

We really appreciate your thoughtful comments and great contribution
to the W3C's Pronunciation Lexicon Specification (PLS).

As you know, the group has had a long discussion on this topic and
finally made a decision that we do not include the reference to the
Scalable Language API (SLAPI) documentation [a] in the PLS
specification but add an informative note on the peculiarity/ambiguity
of IPA symbols [b].

We would be really glad if you could agree to above decision.

P.S.  I would like to add some clarification on W3C's Patent Policy.
Actually, there is no need for a Royalty-Free licensing commitment if
your text is not included in the document but just informatively
refered. However, it seems what you suggested was a small part of the
SLAPI documentation and rather general, so we thought it should be
mentioned as an informative (and general) note.

[a] https://sourceforge.net/projects/slapi/
[b] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2007JulSep/0036.html

Sincerely,

Kazuyuki

Baggia Paolo wrote:
 > Dear Kurt Fuqua,
 >
 > Many thanks for sending the reference to SLAPI documentation [1]
 > for the resolution of R106-4.
 >
 > We have examined the contents of the URI and have decided
 > not to include it as a reference for the following reasons:
 > (1) it is not clear what the IPR constraints are,
 > (2) the URI is not from a recognized standards body, and
 > (3) W3C Team is concerned that the URI reference is not stable
 >     and may change or disappear in the future.
 >
 > We acknowledge the precious work you did for PLS and your
 > suggestions will remain under consideration for future
 > updates to the PLS specification.
 >
 > Paolo Baggia, editor PLS specification
 >
 > [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2007JulSep/0034.html
 >

 > Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia
S.p.A.

 > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
 > This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the
message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is
prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the
message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
<mailto:webmaster@telecomitalia.it>webmaster@telecomitalia.it. Thank
you<http://www.loquendo.com>www.loquendo.com

Kazuyuki Ashimura / W3C Multimodal & Voice Activity Lead
mailto: ashimura@w3.org
voice: +81.466.49.1170 / fax: +81.466.49.1171