From: www-voice-request@w3.org [mailto:www-voice-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Dan Connolly
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:08 AM
To: MattO
Cc: www-voice@w3.org
Subject: Re: VBWG Last Call Issue: <?access-control?> PI

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 17:13 -0800, MattO wrote:
> Dear Dan,

> XML Core Working Group [2] on the use of a Processing Instruction in
> the VoiceXML 2.1 specification. The XML Core WG concluded there is "no
> strong technical argument against using a PI in this case" [3]. This
> conclusion was reiterated in [4].

Paul wasn't speaking for the XML Core WG there.
"Note, I have not discussed this with anyone else" -- [4].

> We hope this addresses your concerns.

Well, actually, no, it doesn't. On further reflection, I have more
concerns...

The use of attribute-like syntax in a PI is goofy.
test case:

  <?access-control allow = "voice.roadrunner.edu voice.acme.edu"?>

note the spaces. They are not allowed per the grammar in the spec, but they
would be allowed if it were an element. Is that by design? Please add it to
your test suite to make sure it's flagged as an error by implementations, if
so.

Also, it seems to me that access control is orthogonal
to VoiceXML. There's nothing about access control nor security in the WG's
charter. If there is security work going on, the security community needs to
be invited to participate.

>  If you are not satisfied with the XML
> Core WG's response or the Voice Browser Working Group's decision to
> leave the Processing Instruction as-is in Appendix E of VoiceXML 2.1,
> let us know if would like us to register your formal objection in the
> VoiceXML 2.1 Disposition of Comments as we present the VoiceXML 2.1
> specification for consideration as a Candidate Recommendation.

Indeed, I am not satisfied and any request to advance should show my
outstanding dissent.

> Sincerely,
> Matt Oshry
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2005JanMar/0075.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2005JanMar/0074.html
> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2005JanMar/0078.html
> [4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2005JanMar/0080.html
D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E