From: www-voice-request@w3.org [mailto:www-voice-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Robert Keiller
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 10:02 AM
To: www-voice@w3.org
Subject: Comments on VoiceXML 2.1 draft specification

Firstly I would like to say that these small changes address some very
useful additions to VoiceXML.

I am slightly disappointed that the support for <mark> does not go further
and support client side audio control. application.lastresult$.marktime will
support very simple audio control by sending the marktime as a url parameter
in an audio request and having the application server apply offsets to the
original audio file. However, there are two important cases where this will
not work:
- TTS prompts
- where several audio files have been queued together  (putting a mark on
every prompt in the queue and
  restarting the prompt queue from the last mark would be very awkward
solution) I believe that several voice browsers already support greater
functionality via non-standard extensions and it seems a pity that these
could not be standardised in VoiceXML 2.1.

I also think Teemu Tingander raises a good question about the naming of the
expr attributes for <script> and <grammar>. (Logically the expr attributes
uses srcexpr, but expr in this case is an asignment
of the subdialog variable, not a definition of the subdialog fetch.) Even if
there is no immediate intention to support dynamic grammars via <grammar
expr="..."/> where expr evaluates to an actual grammar, it seems a mistake
to close off that possibility in future.

Robert