RE: Question about using TTS via the prompt element in VXML

From: Brian Wyld <brian.wyld@eloquant.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:02:14 +0100
To: "Tracy Boehrer" <tboehrer@calltower.com>, "Lutz Birkhahn" <lbirkhahn@adomo.com>, "Roopa Trivedi" <rotrived@cisco.com>, <www-voice@w3.org>

Hi,

I think Lutz's is correct point of view - if there is a voice named, then use it, else use the 'characteristics' of the voice to select the best match.

One implementations point of view: (:-)
 - find TTS engine by language first (per service we allow only one engine type per locale, potentially on multiple servers) -> this makes sure that at least the voice selected has the right accent....
 - if voice name given, and exists, use it.
 - else, from list of all possible voices for the language, select by the ordered list { gender, age, varient}

Hence the selection algo uses the list in the order given in the spec.....

However it is not possible at the SSML level to select a specific vendor's engine.....

Brian

[Brian Wyld] [brian.wyld@eloquant.com]
[Directeur General R&D]
[Eloquant SA] [+33 476 77 46 92] [www.eloquant.com]
[advanced solutions for telecoms and IT services]