    From: David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk [mailto:David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk]
    Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:48 AM
    To: Daniel Burnett
    Cc: www-voice@w3.org
    Subject: RE: SSML 2.3.2 mark Element. Clarification please

    If you deem it to be out of scope of SSML then fine.
    I'm less convinced that SSML provides the triggers to
    enable this functionality.

    I take this as a use case that you are rejecting.
    OK.

    I would request that this use case be considered for the
    requirements for the next issue.

    Regards DaveP

    > The capability you have described is outside the scope of
    the SSML
    > language itself, but it is conceivable that an application or a
    > processor using SSML can make use of the marks to
    accomplish this with
    > a bit of application development work, say in an
    embedding environment
    > such as SMIL or VoiceXML.
    >
    > If there is a problem with this, please let us know as soon as
    > possible.  If we do not hear from you within 14 days, we
    will assume
    > this is fine.
    >
    > -- Dan Burnett
    > Synthesis Team Leader, VBWG

    analogue audio on
    > either CD or audio compact cassette for delivery to our customers.
    >
    > Whichever media, we need to be able to set it off
    playing, and have
    > the application stop when the 2 hours or 45 mins is reached.
    >
    > Could anyone say if this is possible using the mark element?
    > something along the lines of guess the likely stopping
    places around
    > the 45 mins point, then have a system event do something
    to wake the
    > operator up / send an email or something.
    >
    > Waiting around for 22 hours of audio to play out is kinda
    wasteful :-)
    > Any feedback appreciated.
    >
    > Regards DaveP.
    >
    > **** snip here *****
    >
    > -
    >
    > NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any
    attachments is
    > confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
    > intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
    > disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's
    content. If
    > you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
    > immediately and then delete the email and any attachments
    from your
    > system.
    >
    > RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
    > attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses.
    However, it

    -

    NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any
    attachments is
    confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
    intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
    disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's
    content. If
    immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
    system.

    RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
    attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses.
    However, it
    cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
    transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

    represent those of RNIB.

    RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

    Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

-