RE: SSML, further comments

Response accepted.

regards DaveP

    As discussed with you on the WAI-PF telecon of 17 September
    (see http://www.w3.org/2003/09/17-pf-irc), here is our
    response to your comments:

    >>> We believe there is a misunderstanding that is simple
    to correct.
    >>> There is already an ability in the specification to adjust
    >>> pronunciation both internally via the phoneme element
    and externally
    >>> via a lexicon.  We agree there are times when one needs
    a lexicon.
    >>> By placing better pronunciations for words in an
    external lexicon,
    >>> the processor will automatically use the values in the
    lexicon over
    >>> its own defaults without any additional markup (except for the
    >>> single use of the <lexicon> element at the top of the
    document that
    >>> points to the lexicon definition file).
    >>> We also agree that the specification wording you quote
    >>> unintentionally implies a claim about the quality of
    today's synthesis technology.
    >>> To correct this, we will change "are expert at
    performing" to "are
    >>> designed to perform".

    If you believe we have not adequately addressed your
    request, please let us know as soon as possible.  If we do
    not hear from you within 7 days, we will take this as tacit
    acceptance.

    Again, thank you for your input.

    -- Dan Burnett
    Synthesis Team Leader, VBWG