issue with validator flagging something the w3 site uses as an example

From: Jacques Mattheij <jacques@mattheij.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:56:30 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hello there,

When I run http://jacquesmattheij.com/ through your verifier I get this
error:

*Error*: Bad value |navigation| for attribute |role| on element |ul|
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#the-ul-element>.

But when I check how that's supposed to be done on the w3 site

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xhtml-role-20071004/

That is explicitly used as an example:

<ul role="navigation wai:sitemap">
     <li href="downloads">Downloads</li>
     <li href="docs">Documentation</li>
     <li href="news">News</li>
</ul>

It states that sample is only 'informative', but still if that's not good
use then I would expect them to use another example. Please let me know
which of the two (verifier or standards document) is in error.

best regards,

  Jacques Mattheij