Re: issue with validator flagging something the w3 site uses as an example

Hi Jacques,
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xhtml-role-20071004/

the document you cite is a working draft from 2007. It has no standing, it
also predates the formulation of conformance rules for use of ARIA in HTML.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xhtml-role-20071004/>
The HTML5 recommendation (Oct 2014) requirement for ul/ol elements

If specified, role must be one of the following: directory, group, list,
> listbox, menu, menubar, radiogroup, tablist, toolbar, tree or presentation

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html#sec-implicit-aria-semantics

Since HTML5 was published, the rules for use of ARIA in HTML have been
split out of the HTML spec. The latest version of the requirements can be
found here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-aria/

If you find any further errors/warnings about ARIA use on HTML elements,
which you think are questionable, check the ARIA in HTML specification as
this is what the W3C conformance checker implements.

--

Regards

SteveF
Current Standards Work @W3C