Re: Validation error from base 64 encoded data in an object element.

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:01:57 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
2013-11-29 16:46, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:

>> It seems that the assertion is true as regards to browser behavior in
>> popular browsers, strangely enough. A data: URL divided into several lines
>> works OK. Internally, in the DOM, line breaks are stripped off. This also
>> applies to normal URLs; the following works:

>> org">W3C</a>
>
> Yeah but the OP was asking if the validator was correct not about what works.

My point was that the specification will probably change. HTML5
generally tries to declare browser behavior standard when it is rather
uniform in modern browsers.

>> I cannot find any justification for stripping line breaks in the specs.
>
> http://url.spec.whatwg.org/

I don't see anything about line breaks there. Besides, it's about URLs,
not parsing URLs in HTML attributes.

Maybe I missed something; where does "URL Living Standard" say something
about stripping line breaks?

Yucca