Re: Validation error from base 64 encoded data in an object element.

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, 2013-11-29 20:01 +0200:

> 2013-11-29 16:46, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
>
> >>It seems that the assertion is true as regards to browser behavior in
> >>popular browsers, strangely enough. A data: URL divided into several lines
> >>works OK. Internally, in the DOM, line breaks are stripped off. This also
> >>applies to normal URLs; the following works:

> >>org">W3C</a>
> >
> >Yeah but the OP was asking if the validator was correct not about what works.
>
> My point was that the specification will probably change.

In this case I think you shouldn't expect it will change.

> HTML5 generally tries to declare browser behavior standard when it is
> rather uniform in modern browsers.

but specifying how to parse it doesn't mean it then necessarily should also
define that markup as now being valid.

> >>I cannot find any justification for stripping line breaks in the specs.
> >
> >http://url.spec.whatwg.org/
>
> I don't see anything about line breaks there. Besides, it's about URLs, not
> parsing URLs in HTML attributes.

It's about parsing URLs wherever.

> Maybe I missed something; where does "URL Living Standard" say something
> about stripping line breaks?

The parts of the algorithms where U+000A and U+000D are handled