Re: Port of the html validator to Java

Hi Jonathan,

On 2009-09-20, at 7:45 AM, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> Our product is implemented in Java. I'm wondering, would anyone on
> the html
> validator team be interested in creating a Java port of the whole html
> validator in exchange for a substantial donation to the project?

Porting the actual code of the Markup Validator to java would almost
be easy, if it weren't for all the (perl and C) libraries it depends
on. I wouldn't try to port the tool, even if given a *lot* of cash -
but that might just be me.

On the other hand, you could consider http://about.validator.nu/ -
this is the engine used by the W3C's validator for HTML5 checking. If
you want *exactly* the W3C validator, or if you care specifically
about validation against DTDs, this is not for you. However, if you
just want to provide a way to "check HTML for errors that will cause
trouble in browsers" this is a worthy option.

regards,
--
olivier