Re: [VE][143] not found in search

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:28:58 +0000
To: Lorna Fear <lfear@garlic.com>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Lorna Fear wrote:
> Validating http://infraredmagic.com/
> Error [143]: "value of fixed attribute X not equal to default"
> A magazine article and some non-profit flyers just came out with this
> URL and Id love to be able to fix it soon. This is just the first of
> 989 violations. Im using Publisher 2003. Now you know Im broke!
The basic problem is that Publisher seems to have generated something
that isn't HTML. It looks to be some XML language that is a hybrid of
Microsoft document formats and HTML. Possibly something designed to let
Publisher documents be viewed in Internet Explorer - the page won't even
render in my copy of Firefox.

For an XHTML document, the namespace should be set with
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml". In your example, the complaint is
about it using the URI for the HTML 4.01 recommendation - which is odd
to say the least, since HTML 4.01 isn't an XML language.

I would extract the text and any graphics, then mark it up from scratch
rather then letting Publisher anywhere near it.

(Please direct responses to the www-validator mailing list and not
directly to me, thanks)

David Dorward