Re: checklink: ideas for next version

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:46:36 -0500
Cc: "www-validator@w3.org Community" <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>

On 6-Jan-09, at 5:22 PM, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> I have not yet had the time to go through testing and bugzilla, but
> the (small, and not as good as I'd have liked) style/usability
> changes are now in CVS.

I ran the test suite of the link checker today.
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2008/link-testsuite/

The only unexpected thing I could find was that the link checker did
not report a 404 <base href=""> URI.
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wlc/checklink?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fqa-dev.w3.org%2Flink-testsuite%2Fhtml_base_href_b.html
I do recall a discussion about this in the past, and it may indeed be
that we have decided not to test the BASE URI.

The link checker does compute the base URI properly, and reports all
other tests (including tests related to base URI) properly.

I don't consider the above a show stopper: we should either document
the RFE to check for <base href=""> or kill the bad test case.

In other words, I believe we're in a decent enough shape to push to
CPAN. Ville, would you have a chance to prepare the changelog, add to
the NEWS file all relevant details, and upload v4.4 to PAUSE?

--
olivier