Re: error connecting to "www.w3.org"

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:51:01 -0400
To: Max Voelkel <voelkel@fzi.de>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Hi Max,

On 2-Sep-08, at 5:22 AM, Max Voelkel wrote:
> The validator seems to try to fetch all URLs it sees.

No :)

> ------------------- snip
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML+RDFa 1.0//EN" "">
>
> Every once in a while I get the message:
>
> #  Error  Line 106, Column 0: error connecting to
> "www.w3.org" (Connection refused).
>
> to  me  it seems it tries to fetch 'http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'
> although
> this is not needed.

It is actually fetching DTDs for XHTML+RDFa, not the namespace URI.
The reason is that XHTML+RDFa is still work in progress, and unlike
most stable DTDs which the validator has in a local catalog, the often-
changing DTDs are fetched directly from the site. I would like to use
a caching proxy for these DTDs, but unfortunately, proxy support in
the OpenSP engine (which the validator uses) has been on a someday
pile for years...

--
olivier