CSS Hacks

From: Michael Adams <linux_mike@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:26:31 +1300
To: www-validator@w3.org

Just bouncing an idea here. I use the @import hack for IE which i first
came across here:
http://annevankesteren.nl/2005/10/ie-import-hack

My main CSS file consequently looks like this
[Quote]
@import url("layout.css");
@import url("colour.css");
@import url("fonts.css");
@import url(.css) all;
[/Quote]

The more i work in CSS the more i notice that all browsers need hacks.
My question is- Is there any downside you experts can see in asking
browser manufacturers to specify their browser as a media type so we
could focus future fixes at a given browser? A future main CSS file
could look like this
[Quote]
@import url("layout.css");
@import url("colour.css");
@import url("fonts.css");
@import url("ie9hacks.css") ie9;
@import url("ff4hacks.css") ff4;
@import url("safari4hacks.css") safari4;
@import url("opera10hacks.css") opera10;
[/Quote]

I know this would not be a retroactive solution but in my eyes it could
save time in the future.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416