Re: CSS Hacks

Michael,

IMHO, no.

First, this is not the right list to "ask the browser developers" to
enact, much less, enforce, normative requirements such as your suggestion.

Second, I think it fundamentally trades one problem for another--i.e.,
it is not really much of a help in a strategic sense.  If anything,
targeting the underlying rendering engine (WebKit, Gecko, etc.) probably
makes more sense from a development perspective.  Ultimately, it is
possible that CSS interpretation for display, much less print,
including, in some cases, imputation of stylesheet defaults and other
assumptions, may not be wholly defined in the file format unilaterally.
  My experience with Opera, in particular, is that Opera makes very
different (but excellent, again IMHO) CSS choices in this regard.

But yes, I concur that some "hacks" (I am not even sure that using
@import is a "hack" per se, but YMMV) are necessary for picture-perfect
CSS rendering in different environments (when the customer requirements
demand it and, of course, assuming the requirements are indeed valuable).

Wayne Smith, Ph.D.
CSU Northridge