Re: HTML Validator HTTP Accept

Sierk Bornemann wrote:
> David, I know, what Hixie wrote. I know the whole theoretical stuff.
> But I asked you for Apache configuration code to ship through this
> challenge.

I gave my reasons for not providing such code.

 I want real world examples and real world usable code, which
> proves, that your theoretical idea is realizable for daily practical use.

"Daily practical use" is "Use text/html".

> All other words around that topic are needless, if they can't be
> transferred into real world use and can cope with real world needs. And
> I told you, where the practical usefulness of content negotiation ends
> in real and daily work needs and environments. You can't ignore fully IE
> with its lack of capability for application/xhtml+xml.

Exactly - don't use application/xhtml+xml for typical webpages.

 You have to
> arrange with that fact. And you have to find out solutions, that have
> the smallest impact and footprint, when using them.

Exactly - don't use application/xhtml+xml for typical webpages.

> What you think of,
> is not a small and practical solution.

Doing content negotiation is not small. There are times when it is
practical - but that is not for typical webpages.

> And such a correction in that direction has been (will be soon) made
> with http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/ (see
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-xhtml-media-types-20081126/)

The most significant differences (IMO) this makes are that it:

(a) Extends text/html to more versions of XHTML

and

(b) Explicitly reminds people to pay attention to q values

--
David Dorward                               <http://dorward.me.uk/>