Re: Fallback to UTF-8

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:37:58 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Karl Dubost wrote:

> basically choosing Windows-1252, you will be imposing a
> local preference on others. Take it another way, once
> the number of Chinese Web pages will be largely superior
> than the rest of the world (1), should we change the
> spec to Big5 or GB2312?

That misses the point of this thread, it is no "charset
popularity" contest.  We are talking about the disastrous
side effects of RFC 2616 for documents with a "default"
Latin-1 in a world where in essence nobody uses Latin-1.

Ignoring a few billion pages where ASCII, windows-1252,
or UTF-8 unintentionally happen to be limited to Latin-1.

 Frank