Re: Fallback to UTF-8

On 25 Apr 2008, at 14:56, Andreas Prilop wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, David Dorward wrote:
>
>> The validator outputs both parts of the original source
>
> Sir, no, Sir!
>
> Sir, you failed to understand the whole thread, Sir!

This is the point where I switched off the first time I read this email.

> There is **NO** output of the original at
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/test.htm
>
> The validator just says: "This document can not be checked."
> And that's the point of my complaint.
>
> Validating as "ISO-8595-1" gives the fine and helpful error report
> "non SGML character number 128".

I've just gone back through the thread to see if I've missed
something, and as far as I can tell, this is the first time anyone has
explained that your complaint is about the validator handing
characters which don't appear in the selected character encoding
differently between ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8. (Rather then assuming people
would spot that particular difference between the error reports).

So, while switching to ISO-8859-1 would be a quick hack to solve that
issue, wouldn't it be better to cause that behaviour to occur in all
encodings?

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/