Re: XML file upload issues for encoding="UTF-8"

On Sep 17, 2007, at 17:30 , Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Eventually I used that.  But I first tried what you have as "fbc"
> in the user manual, and for that option text/xml without charset
> is a special case (i.e. it doesn't trigger "fbc").  Maybe mention
> this special case on the user.html page in the "fbc" paragraph.

I guess that the implementation considers that, when using text/xml
without charset, the us-ascii charset is set and therefore the fbc
option (which triggers fallback only if there is no charset given at
all) does not apply. I think this should be relaxed.

> But what I'd really prefer would be a mode to validate documents
> "as is" independent of any transport oddities.  Ideally this mode
> would be the new default, and enabling to check a document in the
> context of its transport to the validator could be an option.

I don't think I can agree with you here. MIME and HTTP may be causing
issues for a few ill-configured or ill-coded servers and browsers,
but making it a default to ignore the very important encoding and
media type info they convey, and using sniffing instead, sounds like
a bad idea to me.

Regards,
--
olivier