Re: XML file upload issues for encoding="UTF-8"

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:30:02 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Olivier Thereaux wrote:

 [validating documents vs. validating transport to the validator]
> Which is why you have options to force the doctype and charset,
> overriding whatever will be detected from the info given by the
> browser or server, no?

Eventually I used that.  But I first tried what you have as "fbc"
in the user manual, and for that option text/xml without charset
is a special case (i.e. it doesn't trigger "fbc").  Maybe mention
this special case on the user.html page in the "fbc" paragraph.

But what I'd really prefer would be a mode to validate documents
"as is" independent of any transport oddities.  Ideally this mode
would be the new default, and enabling to check a document in the
context of its transport to the validator could be an option.

Frank