Re: Ascii as a subset

From: Nikita The Spider The Spider <nikitathespider@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:52:09 -0400
To: "Dana C. Chandler III" <dchandler@e-dialog.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On 5/29/07, Dana C. Chandler III <dchandler@e-dialog.com> wrote:
> I sent this question off recently: Is there a definitive list of
> Character sets that have ASCII as  a subset?

Dana,
If by "definitive" you mean "published by an authoritative
organization" then I think the best place to look would be the IANA
since they publish the charset registry:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

My guess is that they don't bother to enumerate which encodings are
ASCII supersets.

It'd be a pretty daunting task to sort *all* encodings based on
whether or not they're ASCII supersets. There's a lot of encodings and
the list is not static. (Note that the IANA list changed just two
weeks ago.) But in practice I don't think it would be hard to make a
list that covers all of the encodings you're likely to encounter,
especially if your application's domain is narrowly-defined.

Good luck

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/