validator beta ignoring form's character encoding on file upload

From: Edward Welbourne <eddy@chaos.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 20:41:58 +0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

I've been using
  http://validator-test.w3.org/detailed.html
to test assorted pages of my web-site, by file upload, before uploading
them to http://www.chaos.org.uk/~eddy/ (where the world can see my
mistakes).  Since my web-site is configured to declare a valid
content-type (my .htaccess says
	AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
to Apache) via HTTP headers, my web pages don't duplicate this; so I'm
pleased to see the beta offers to let me specify the content-type (with
a natty check-box to only do so if not specified by the content).

However, when I actually exercise this functionality, the validator
seems to be ignoring it - it still warns me:

  No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.

and only gives a "provisionally valid" (very few of my pages actually
use anything but plain ASCII, so nearly all of my iso-8859-1 is indeed
UTF-8) final result.

I have my browser configured to not do scripting, referrer logging and
probably other things I've forgotten, in case that's relevant,

	Eddy.