Re: validator beta ignoring form's character encoding on file upload

On Mon, May 28, 2007, Edward Welbourne wrote:
> mistakes).  Since my web-site is configured to declare a valid
> content-type (my .htaccess says
> 	AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
> to Apache) via HTTP headers, my web pages don't duplicate this; so I'm
> pleased to see the beta offers to let me specify the content-type (with
> a natty check-box to only do so if not specified by the content).

The validator lets you specify the charset (not all of the content type,
actually), as it has for many years indeed.

> However, when I actually exercise this functionality, the validator
> seems to be ignoring it - it still warns me:
>
>   No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.

This issue has been fixed thanks to feedback we got in the beta.
The development version http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/ (and the
upcoming beta and release) correctly would output:

[[ No Character Encoding Found! Using  iso-8859-1.
I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of the
valid sources for such information. I will use the character encoding
iso-8859-1, which you have chosen via the Encoding override option, for
tentative validation. ]]

Thank you!
--
olivier