Re: charset=us-ascii mandatory?

From: Sierk Bornemann <sierkb@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 22:23:58 +0200
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Andreas Prilop <AndreasPrilop2007@trashmail.net>

Hi Andreas!

Am 09.05.2007 um 16:54 schrieb Andreas Prilop:

> On Tue, 8 May 2007, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> Is there some practical problem behind your question?
>
> Not a severe problem. I don't want to specify an encoding for
> http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/lang-attribute.htm
> because I want the reader to select any encoding in his browser.
>
> "charset=us-ascii" is taken by browsers to mean "charset=iso-8859-1".

BTW:
Do you know of Bjoern Hoermann's perl module HTML::Encoding?
http://search.cpan.org/~bjoern/HTML-Encoding-0.52/lib/HTML/Encoding.pm

This perl module, which seems to be used by validator 0.8+, helps to
determine the encoding of HTML and XML/XHTML documents, especially,
if there isn't any default encoding information provided by the
webserver or the document itself.
Maybe this module or the information concerning this module can give
you any more help.

Sierk
--
Sierk Bornemann