Re: Feed Validator service bugs

From: ryan <ryan@theryanking.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:23:41 -0700
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>

On Jun 14, 2007, at 5:23 AM, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> On May 29, 2007, at 21:08 , ryan wrote:
>> I'm trying to use the feed validation service at http://
>> validator.w3.org/feed/, but I'm encountering a few problems–
>> * Pasting the contents of the feed into the form and hitting
>> submit gives me an error page. I've tried several feeds and always
>> get an error. (FWIW, I'm using Safari 2.0.4)
> Could you send the content of one of the feeds you tried? (to me
> only if its content should not be public). I know that the direct
> input interface of the feed validator is somewhat more fragile than
> the one for online resources, but I tried with a couple of them and
> validation was performed without problem.

Here's an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xml:base="http://
   <link rel="alternate" href="http://example.com/a01-simple.html"
   <title>a01 simple</title>
     <title>Simplest possible entry</title>
     <link rel="alternate" href="http://example.com/a01-
simple.html#foo" type="text/html"/>
       <name>Ryan King</name>

>> * The soap interface seems to likewise be broken. I tried
>> accessing it with the ruby library [1], but it appears to be
>> returning python stack traces of errors.
> Can you send the trace, and context? I just tried the soap output
> that the ruby library should be using, and as far as I can tell it
> is functional.

The raw http post body:

Here's the http response I'm receieving:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
<faultstring>'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'</faultstring>
<traceback xmlns="http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File &quot;/usr/local/feedvalidator/check.cgi&quot;, line 174, in
     params = feedvalidator.validateString(rawdata,
   File &quot;/home/ot/feedvalidator/src/feedvalidator/
__init__.py&quot;, line 153, in validateString
   File &quot;/home/ot/feedvalidator/src/feedvalidator/
__init__.py&quot;, line 92, in _validate
   File &quot;xml/sax/expatreader.py&quot;, line 107, in parse
   File &quot;xml/sax/xmlreader.py&quot;, line 123, in parse
   File &quot;xml/sax/expatreader.py&quot;, line 207, in feed
   File &quot;xml/sax/expatreader.py&quot;, line 348, in end_element_ns
   File &quot;/home/ot/feedvalidator/src/feedvalidator/base.py&quot;,
line 217, in endElementNS
   File &quot;/home/ot/feedvalidator/src/feedvalidator/base.py&quot;,
line 443, in endElementNS
   File &quot;/home/ot/feedvalidator/src/feedvalidator/link.py&quot;,
line 78, in validate
   File &quot;/home/ot/feedvalidator/src/feedvalidator/
validators.py&quot;, line 491, in validate
AttributeError: &apos;NoneType&apos; object has no attribute