HTML and CSS validators don't like '<' within Javascript code?

From: Jeffrey Friedl <jfriedl@regex.info>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 04:05:31 -0800 (PST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi,
I really appreciate being able to use the validators you kindly supply. Thank you.

The HTML and CSS validators don't seem to properly ignore <script>
sections, because when I test a page with Javascript containing a less-than
symbole, e.g.

        if (num < 3)

it complains that the '<' is for starting a tag.

An example page that generates the error is:

   http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart/

Thanks,
        Jeffrey
Jeffrey Friedl           Kyoto, Japan              http://regex.info/blog/