Re: "character data is not allowed here" problem with Unicode Chinese

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:21:56 +0000
To: "Allan Dyer" <adyer@yuikee.com.hk>, www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:15:30 +0800
"Allan Dyer" <adyer@yuikee.com.hk> wrote:

> and got one error:
> Error  Line 5 column 54: character data is not allowed here.

> --------
> Unfortunately, I don't think this email will show the correct Chinese
> characters, please refer to the validation page itself.

It's pointing to the wrong place.  The actual error is that slash,
which turns the following > into character data.

This should be in the FAQ.  Actually it is, kind-of, but it's
so well-disguised you can be forgiven for not seeing it.

Bottom line: you used XHTML syntax in an HTML document.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/