Re: "character data is not allowed here" problem with Unicode Chinese

On Feb 6, 2007, at 09:15 , Allan Dyer wrote:

> I'd like to report a problem with the validation of Unicode Chinese
> pages.
>
> I tried this validation:
> http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fu-
> hearts.consultancy.com.hk%2Fbg%2Fnewspaper.html
>
> and got one error:
> Error  Line 5 column 54: character data is not allowed here.

> --------

The error is actually coming from your usage of the XHTML-style
construct /> to close the <meta>, when you are using HTML 4.01. Use

There is indeed a (old, which was fixed a couple of years ago and
broke again recently - not sure yet why) bug making the validator
highlight the wrong position in the source display, but there is no
problem in the validator's recognition of the utf-8 string.

--
olivier