"character data is not allowed here" problem with Unicode Chinese

From: Allan Dyer <adyer@yuikee.com.hk>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:15:30 +0800
To: www-validator@w3.org

I'd like to report a problem with the validation of Unicode Chinese pages.

I tried this validation:
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fu-
hearts.consultancy.com.hk%2Fbg%2Fnewspaper.html

and got one error:
Error  Line 5 column 54: character data is not allowed here.

--------
Unfortunately, I don't think this email will show the correct Chinese
characters, please refer to the validation page itself.

The validator marks one of the Chinese characters in the meta content attribute
as the problem. There are four Chinese characters there, it only marks one bye
of one character as a problem.The character in question is the Chinese
character for the number one.

It appears that the validator is failing to recognise the three bytes as a
single Unicode Chinese character, and giving this incorrect error as a result.

Please email me directly for any followup - I don't read this list.
Thanks
Allan Dyer

 Allan Dyer, CISSP, MHKCS, MIAP | adyer@yuikee.com.hk
 Chief Consultant                | http://www.yuikee.com.hk/
 Yui Kee Computing Ltd.         | +852 28708555