Doesn't validate online, but pasted View Source does

From: Mark Rae <mark@markrae.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 01:49:04 -0000
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Can anyone please tell me why the following site:
http://www.contracting-online.com doesn't validate 100% - it generates the
"This Page Is Tentatively Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional" and "No Character
Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8" messages.

I'm confused for two reasons:

1) if you do a View Source on the above site's home page, you'll see that
the header contains the following:

2) if you copy the entire contents of the View Source and paste into the
"Validate by Direct Input" box, it does validate.

Any assistance gratefully received.

P.S. would appreciate an email reply as I don't subscribe to the mailing