Re: Validating ASP pages SOLUTION found

On 1 Aug 2007, at 18:21, Hoskin, Patricia J wrote:
> David:
> Responding to your message within the ***************

Please keep it on the mailing list.

> On the ASP pages ... the only thing before the <? Xml...?> is
> information for VBSCRIPT between <% ... %>

So that would be VBScript that gets processed by the ASP engine.
Server side code, not client side code. So the client should never
see it, the server should strip it out before it gets to the client.

> which when the validation
> tool looks at the pages it sees a "blank" line ... it is not a
> "purposeful" blank line, it is how the browser interprets the VBSCRIPT
> "code" ...

No, its how the code is written.

<% VBSCRIPT %>
<?xml ?>

Everything between and including the <% and %> is processed by the
server, leaving just the new line.

I'd assume the solution would be to write <% VBSCRIPT %><?xml ?>, but
I tend to back away in fear when I encounter ASP and head off to more
comfortable programming environments.

> when looking at any of the sites pages via a browser / view
> source ... it looks like a blank line is the first line ...

OK, so the file starts with a blank line.

> in other
> words, there are no blank lines at the beginning of each page ...

No, the file doesn't start with a blank line? You seem to be
contradicting yourself.

> the
> VBSCRIPT is not shown, thus it "looks" like a blank line.

The VBSCRIPT isn't there, its been processed by the server.

> So the order you had shown (Some ASP code - new line - XML prolog) is
> incorrect ... it is
> * VBSCRIPT
> * XML prolog

No, I think I was right the first time.