Re: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.8.0 beta 1)

Hi Sierk,

On Apr 25, 2007, at 19:10 , Sierk Bornemann wrote:
> Content-Negotiation Techniques to serve XHTML 1.0 as text/html and
> application/xhtml+xml
> http://www.w3.org/2003/01/xhtml-mimetype/content-negotiation

That's for XHTML 1.0, which indeed MAY be served as text/html.
Not true for XHTML 1.1.

> XHTML Media Types
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/
>
> Look at http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#summary, what MIME
> type *may* be served and what *should* be served.

And XHTML 1.1 is clearly marked as SHOULD NOT be served as text/html.

Hence, as I said before, according to the specs:
* If you want text/html with XHTML, then stick to XHTML 1.0.
* If for some reason you want XHTML 1.1, then stick to application/
xhtml+xml.
* There is no good reason to serve XHTML 1.1 as text/html.

--
olivier