Re: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.8.0 beta 1)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:37:11 +0300
Cc: "www-validator@w3.org Community" <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Sierk Bornemann <sierkb@gmx.de>

On Apr 25, 2007, at 13:10, Sierk Bornemann wrote:

> I *want* to use XHTML, lastly to promote it. I intentionally *want*
> to use XHTML 1.1

> Browsers like the Internet Explorer, who don't work correctly, have
> got a bad standing (espacially in my eyes), and I am *not* willing
> to provide (or going further: foster) this bad standing any longer.

Does this mean you are going to serve application/xhtml+xml
exclusively without any text/html concession to IE?

> The browser vendor, especially Microsoft, *has to do* his homework
> in delivering a good and reliable piece of software. If he doesn't,
> it is his own fault, and the user should know, that there does
> exist competition out there, which is far better to switch to.

How does the user know if you specifically expend effort to hide the
IE issue from your readers?

> My solution in rewriting the MIME type by the webserver, if it
> makes sense, is a compromise to not let the Internet Explorer out
> of the playground.

How does that relate to "I am *not* willing to provide (or going
further: foster) this bad standing any longer"?

Henri Sivonen