Re: Unknown Parse Mode! in form submission

Eric Bednarz wrote:

>> Is that a bug ?

> Generally sniffing the prolog in the hope to find clues?
> Sure.

The OP tried to validate a document using one of the direct
input forms, probably on <http://validator.w3.org/> or maybe
on <http://validator.w3.org/fragment-upload.html>.

> For SGML parsing, an 'XML declaration' is just an ordinary
> processing instruction.

Obviously not what he wanted.  And it's not impossible to get
it right, it works for URLs or uploaded files.

> Ah; all the best, honestly, and don't hold your breath.

The interface and error messages wrt DOCTYPE and charset are
confusing, and after some years I hope that it's not only my
fault.  Maybe it's something simple like a missing second
submit button for XML-mode.

> the note in
> <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#valid>
> might give some clues.

Yes, he has written that in March 2000, and if I test the page
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html 6.5 years later
it apparently still doesn't work.

> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbednarz.nl%2Ftmp%2Fnobr%2F&ss=1>

Cute.  For other curious folks, the DTD is only five lines:
<!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "http://bednarz.nl/tmp/nobr/www.dtd">

Frank (not planning to create documents with <nobr> elements)