Re: Unknown Parse Mode! in form submission

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 05:37:48 +0200, Frank Ellermann
<nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:

>> For SGML parsing, an 'XML declaration' is just an ordinary
>> processing instruction.
>
> Obviously not what he wanted.  And it's not impossible to get
> it right, it works for URLs or uploaded files.

It's quite impossible to process anything right if you don't know what it
is.  One can always pretend, though.

> The interface and error messages wrt DOCTYPE and charset are
> confusing,

That's understandable.  'DOCTYPE' and 'charset' are ambiguous terms in
themselves.  The latter is usually either referring to an encoding or to a
repertoire, the former is either a reserved name that can be redefined in
the SGML declaration or you can stop reading (as a rule of thumb, stop
reading; it's not useful to think about something that could either mean
'doctype' or 'document type' or 'document type declaration').

> Maybe it's something simple like a missing second
> submit button for XML-mode.

What's certainly missing is an option to choose an SGML declaration
(including the one for XML).  Or any hint that would make transparent to a
user what happened -- and why -- in that respect.

>> the note in
>> <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#valid>
>> might give some clues.
>
> Yes, he has written that in March 2000

The page was last changed october 2005, so to see.  As far as I remember,
the default SGML declaration and subsequently the GRPCNT value for unknown
document 'types' was changed somewhere around 2004, and I had email
contact back then with Jukka and Terje, but I don't have it handy to look
up details.

>> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbednarz.nl%2Ftmp%2Fnobr%2F&ss=1>
>
> Cute.  For other curious folks, the DTD is only five lines:

It could be less, but that's not the point ;)

--
:Eric