Re: Unknown Parse Mode! in form submission

From: Eric Bednarz <lists@bednarz.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 03:27:18 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> The problem is that the validator doesn't use the XML
>> declaration as its trigger to use XML mode.
> Is that a bug ?

Generally sniffing the prolog in the hope to find clues?  Sure.

> If a document says <?xml version=" (etc.)
> at the begin, maybe after one of the various signatures
> for UTF-8, BOCU-1, etc., then it's supposed to be XML, or
> isn't it ?

For SGML parsing, an 'XML declaration' is just an ordinary processing

> P.S.:  Still waiting

Ah; all the best, honestly, and don't hold your breath.

>        for an answer why Jukka's "nobr"-DTD
>        is not supported.  If that's politically motivated
>        I'm ready with this forum and the W3C.

Don't be too fatalistic; the W3C validation service is just a proprietary
interface to a validating SGML system; it is unsurprising that its purpose
is to support W3C recommendations, not to validate SGML.  As to limits,
the note in

might give some clues.  Of course, defaults can change anytime without

Within those limits, you can still do whatever you want: