Re: Navigation

Hi Des,

Thank you very much for your feedback - and I do mean it.

Let me answer some of the questions you ask below, pointing you to
where the information you were looking for was. Then I will have a
closer look at how we could improve our UI and organization to
improve user experience.

On Jul 24, 2006, at 17:59 , Des wrote:

> Same with the doctypes, there's a discussion about what a doctype
> it is, and why you should use it, but why aren't there any examples?

Let's see.

* If I validate a document without doctype, the big red warning at
the top has a link to:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/dev/
tests/xhtml1-missing-doctype-and-xmlns.html;ss

has a link to the FAQ entry on doctypes, which has an example right
at the top:
http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-doctype
and a link to a "List of recommended Doctypes"
That looks ok.

* validating the same document as above, but with verbose results,
give me the example doctype directly. That looks fine too.

* However, in the error message below the red banner, there is no
link, just "DTD, but this is quite likely to be incorrect and will
generate a large number of incorrect error messages. It is highly
recommended that you insert the proper DOCTYPE declaration in your
document -- instructions for doing this are given above --". Maybe
that's suboptimal? Should there be a link to the list of doctypes there?

* Now, outside of validation results, there are quite a few parts of
the documentations that talk about doctypes, and maybe some of them
are lacking in examples. Do you remember which documentation you were
looking at, and found lacking?

>  Why can't I find a link back to the HTML validator after
> validating within 10 seconds? I wasn't able to find it at all.
> There's a link to the CSS validator, but that's not what I'm
> looking for.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to fix that, because in any given validation
result screen, there is:
1- a link to "Home" in the links bar at the top left (soon to be at
the bottom left, because the links bar will be moved in the next
proposed UI)
2- a form to "revalidate", which can also be used to validate a
different document

Do you recall whether you saw the "home" link and thought it was
something else, or whether you did not notice it? Would it have
helped if the banner at the top ("markup validation service") was a
link going back to the service's root page?

Thank you,
olivier

--
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/