Re: Tool request

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:11:18 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On 1/28/06, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> * Danny Ayers wrote:
> >Even with validator bookmarks in place in my browser it takes time to
> >check, and demands a lot more attention than glancing at a smiley. The
> >change might only lower the bar to validation a teeny bit, but on web
> >scale that may still make a significant difference.
>
> Well, you are really better off with a browser extension that performs
> validation. There is a HTML Tidy plugin for Firefox that does this to
> some extend, for example. From what I gather it should not be difficult
> at all to extend this to use OpenSP or if you are more concerned about
> XML formats to use some DSDL implementations performing NVDL, RNG, etc
> validation. Especially for dynamic formats like SVG et al. that makes
> considerably more sense as it would allow to validate the DOM at any
> given point rather than just the static content which is increasingly
> unlikely to represent the actual state of the document. Or WebApp, or
> whatever you call it.

A browser extension would certainly be better than my current
approach, and as you suggest, dynamic material does muddy the water
somewhat.

However I do still think server-side validation has its advantages
through being closer to the material under scrutiny. The on-site
visual indication is there for everyone to see - for a multi-editor
site that could make for a lot more bugfix eyeballs.

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com